Wednesday, 21 June 2017

Tudor Baggage / Artillery Train Part 1

When I completed the Bombard and carriage in the previous post I was keen to create some interchangeable loads for the cart so that I could create an extended artillery and/or baggage train, here's the initial results.

By way of reminder here's the first cart creation carrying a heavy bombard, you can read more about this project here.

I then turned my attention to the original load which comes with the set;

I really enjoyed painting this, the load of a tent and associated equipment was painted in a variety of drab colours contrasted by the scarlet clothing of the camp follower. I really enjoyed painting this, it was a bit of a challenge to select the colours as well as to paint a fairer complexion on the woman's face but I'm very much pleased with the result.

Here's a more detailed shot;

I then returned my attention to creating a load of artillery equipment;

This turned out to be quite a challenge, largely because the glue I was using just wouldn't create a decent bond on anything other than my hands but some rudimentary clamps worked in the end.

I borrowed heavily from this scene depicting part of Maximilian's artillery train;

As I was keen to have this as a load that could be removed I cut a piece of plasticard slightly narrower than the base of the cart then glued the various bits onto it. I began with the large wicker basket of cannon balls in the centre using offcuts from the Perry / Renedra fencing with cannon balls made by rolling coriander seeds in green stuff to ensure consistency in size. Either side of that I then added a barrel and then placed a variety of artillery equipment - a bucket, some sacks, a mallet and a chest around the load - most of these came from the Zvezda Bombard set which I used as a basis for the bombard conversion.

At that point I felt something was missing so I added an archer hitching a ride on the back. I converted this by sawing the torso from one of my Tudor dollies then sculpting the lower waist and skirt with legs from the Perry Ansar set added. I really enjoyed creating this chap and will no doubt do it again, I've made quite a few conversions using these dollies which I'll reveal over the coming weeks.

Here's a few more shots;

It was really tricky getting the proportions right for this position but the seated woman in the original set proved to be a useful guide. I really liked the way shoes came out on this one too. It's a small addition but adding this figure really gives a Tudor feel to the piece.

A final bit of Tudorising was to emblazon the crowned portcullis on the red chest.

Here's the cart with the present 3 interchangeable loads;

I really need to make at least another large cart now.

Still in the mood for another cart I then turned my attention to a smaller piece, again using the original and an alternative load;

The carter was converted with a head swap using a cut down Ansar head and the addition of a cap.

 Alternative load; some arrow chests (thanks Simon) and a couple of barrels

That's all for now, I've got a few projects on the go so not sure when the next update will be, I'm also off to France for a holiday - hoping to take pit stops in Bolougne and Morlaix for their Tudor history connections.

Bye for now



  1. Lovely work on the cart, good timing as I'm working on a number of carts myself, always useful to have your work around as inspiration! Best Iain

  2. Superb work and innovation ... as usual.

  3. Fanastic level of painting and very interesting image references.

  4. Great stuff Stuart. The alternative loads work really well. Of course it means if you paint up a wagon being pulled by the oxen you will already have the load to go in it completed!

  5. Great work on those - all the interchangeable loads look fantastic. Love the coriander seeds idea!!

  6. Excellent and very interesting as always

  7. Lovely work. The scenes from the Maximilian's illustrations are awesome and inspiring.